Hi to everyone on this trip, just wanted to start a discussion regarding the club's upcoming Mt. Whitney East Face and East Buttress climbs. If you've got any gear questions or want to arrange transport or other questions as the date approaches this is the place!
Thanks Doug! That's right, let's coordinate here. I'll be leaving Friday from Lincoln around 2 pm and arriving in LP that evening, I will sleep at the pullout at the beginning of Whitney Portal Road. I have room for one person to carpool with me.
I emailed Roger Coss about what they did on the Thor Falls climb and he mentioned gate closure with last 1/4 of road to go and that driving around cones, dropping gear and people then driving down to park was an option, seems like this would be good for us to consider.
I can bring a BD Firstlight tent which can hold two snugly or bring a Hilleburg Nallo which is larger but a bit heavier. Let me know. I also have a full rack of BD Ultralight Cams which I will bring which can lighten the load a bit.
Brett, I know you've got a sweet new Beale Opera 8.5mm looking to get some use...
Hey - Gang.
I have group gear; Direkt 2 tent - four season. MSR white gas stove & 1 med. size bottle of gas. I'll bring pro, and extra Ice Axes if needed.
I'm planning to drive on Friday. Darren, I would be happy to car pool with you if that works. 2 PM on Friday at Lincoln would work for me.
I have the Subaru Outback and can fit a lot of gear. And sleep in the back.
Cell Phone 415-412-8283
Hi everyone, looking forward to it. Emily and I will be leaving Reno Friday after work and driving down. We’re planning on staying at one of the campsites along Portal Road or driving up as far as possible and car camping.
Em has a connection with SAR and heard that the road work finished yesterday, and that you should be able to drive from the valley floor to the top closure. Take it for what it’s worth; I’d still be prepared to make the trek from the bottom but consider it good fortune if we can start higher.
For gear, we’ll load up all of our personal gear and have it if needed. We’ll bring a two person, 3 season tent and leave pack room for group gear. As Doug mentioned, I’ve got a beautiful new rope just waiting to be used...
Doug - I also have your 30m glacier rope I’ll return to you.
One last question - I know the proposed end time is 10 PM Sunday night. Is that still the plan? To come out at night? That’s fine, we just both have meetings Monday morning back in Reno and need to prepare/plan accordingly.
For group gear I'll bring the following:
2 Person Tent (3 season)
MSR Windburner Stove + Gas
Beal Opera 8.5mm Rope
Full Rock Rack (Cams, Nuts, Slings, etc.)
Hey guys, I'll bring my rack and alpine draws. I have doubles in .4-2, a 3, and a set of BD nuts. I'll sleep in my bivy sack, unless someone has space in their tent (don't mind either way). None of my planned meals require more than some boiling water, so I'll probably share stoves with those who bring them if that's okay. Looking forward to a fun trip!
I will arrive at trailhead (road closure) at around 10pm Friday night. I teach a class and will not able to leave until 5pm (from LA).
I will be bring my Beal 8.5mm (60m), alpine rack, and probably a bivy sack.
Looking forward to meeting everyone.
Since there's a chance of snow, 4 season tents will be ideal. Having said that please bring your 3-season tents in case we need it. I have a feeling we will have enough 4-season tents for everyone.
10pm on Sunday is conservative on our part. It's hard to say the actually end time since we don't know our exact route yet. With the possible on a longer approach/descent, it's reasonable to be back at car by 8pm.