Join MAA members for a classic ascent up Mt. Baker, WA. The Coleman-Deming route is a scenic and moderately challenging glacier route within the reach of an aspiring mountaineer. With camp in a stunning setting and roped climbing to the 10,781 summit, this is a memorable experience. Loaner gear may be available. We have room for 6. Hope to have you out with us!
SCREENED EVENT: Please join the waitlist. Attendees will be selected based on skill proficiency and experience. Those registered will be notified. Thank you!
- What's happening: Coleman Deming route, roped glacier travel, snow climbing. Participants should be proficient with glacier travel and crevasse rescue, steep snow climbing, and self-arrest.
- Where to meet: TBD
- Event Leader: Darren Shutt, firstname.lastname@example.org 916-872-3399
- Minimum / Maximum: 3/6
- What to bring: Harness, helmet, mountain boots, steel crampons fit to your boots, mountain axe with leash or runner to connect to harness, belay device, prusik, 2 locking carabiners, PAS, 48" runner, 2 non-locking carabiners, 30 - 45 liter climbing pack, warm, stormproof layers for upper and lower body, gaiters, food, waterbottles, sleeping bag, sleeping pad, trekking pole(s). Ropes, protection, tents, stoves and other group gear will be determined beforehand, likely supplied by MAA.
- Group Costs: $75 per participant. This pays for mileage to get gear and EL to Washington. Registration is confirmed upon payment.
- Refund policy: Full refunds outside of 90 days, 50% refund between 30 and 90 days, no refund possible closer than 30 days.
- Travel and gear coordination: Group spreadsheet will be shared with confirmed participants.
- Medical: If you have any medical conditions pertinent to your participation on this event, please inform the event leaders after registration.
Prior: TBD conference call to coordinate training opportunities and logistics.
- DAY 1: Saturday, July 8th - Meet at trailhead and ascend trail to set up basecamp at Hogsback.
- DAY 2: Sunday July 9th - With an early start, climb and descend CD route, return to basecamp, then descend all the way back to the trailhead.
- DAY 3: Monday, July 10th - Contingency / weather day.
- In order to register you must be an Apex or Base member.
- Event leaders are experienced volunteers, but may not be certified guides.
- This event has shared group costs, but MAA receives no direct financial gain for organizing and supporting this event.
- Participant safety is our top priority. The itinerary described is the plan; however, circumstances beyond the leader's control may necessitate changes.
- The event begins and ends at the trailhead. MAA does not insure ridesharing or other travel arrangements and bears no responsibility for them. Carpooling, ride sharing, or anything similar is strictly a private arrangement among individuals.
- MAA event leaders carry communication devices and a medical kit; The primary event leader has current wilderness first aid and CPR training as well as MAA policy training.