Join MAA members to climb dramatic Dragon Peak. This Eastern Sierra peak boasts a solid rock scrambling route on the South Chute ending at the scenic 12,995 summit. Participants should be comfortable with exposed Class 3-4 scrambling. Loaner gear may be available. We have room for 6. Hope to have you out with us!
SCREENED EVENT: Please join the waitlist. Attendees will be selected based on skill proficiency and experience shown on their MAA profile. Those registered will be notified. Thank you!
- What's happening: Overnight climb of Dragon Peak, 12,995, via the Class 3-4 South Chute. 3 miles approach, approx. 3,500 elevation gain, off-trail travel, camping.
- Where to meet: Onion Valley TH
- Event Leader: Kevin Koenig
- Minimum / Maximum: 3/6
- What to bring: Mountain boots, helmet, stormproof layered clothing, climbing pack, trekking poles, food, water, tent, sleeping pad, sleeping bag, headlamp, stove/fuel, personal items, 10 essentials. Some of this may be group gear.
- Medical: If you have any medical conditions pertinent to your participation on this event, please inform the event leaders after registration.
- Additional Info: Bear canister required
Day 1: Saturday, July 20th - Meet an Onion Valley TH at 9:00 am. Hike i3.5 miles in to camp. Scout route. Dinner, ready for early start.
Day 2: Sunday, July 21st - Alpine start, climb South Chute route to peak. Reverse route to return to and break camp. Return to TH.
- In order to register you must be a Base, Peak, or Apex member.
- Event leaders are experienced volunteers, but may not be certified guides.
- Participant safety is our top priority. The itinerary described is the plan; however, circumstances beyond the leader's control may necessitate changes.