Join MAA at Ouray Colorado for spectacular week of ice climbing. The ice park is world famous boasting hundreds of routes, in addition to some amazing climbing just outside the park. We rent a huge house just minutes from the park where we can climb ice for days on end. We'll also be climbing ice in the backcountry as available. All levels welcome. Loaner gear will be available. We have room for 15 stoked ice climbers! Hope to have you out with us!
- DATES: Sunday, January 5th to Saturday, January 11th, 2020
- LOCATION: Ouray Ice Park in Ouray, CO
- EVENT LEADERS: Darren Shutt, firstname.lastname@example.org, and Kelvin Nguyen, email@example.com
- MIN / MAX: 7 /15
- CLIMBING SKILLS REQUIREMENTS: In order to be best prepared to climb safely and effectively, participants should know how to belay, tie in, lower and be lowered. Experienced ice climbers who are proficient in top rope anchor building and/or have attended ICE 1 training or have shown to have this level of ice climbing experience on their profile will be best prepared.
- PERSONAL GEAR: Members are encouraged to use your own equipment. If you're missing something, club loaner gear may be available (except footwear). Please let the event leader know if you need something
- EXPEDITION FEE: $437 per participant. This covers house rental for 6 days, airfare or mileage reimbursement to get the ELs and gear to Ouray, MAA operations fee ($300) and one car rental to access the backcountry / airport pickup, etc.
- REFUNDS: Full refunds can be given outside of 90 days of the trip date. Between 30 and 90 days, 50% refunds are possible. Closer than 30 days, no refunds can be given.
- WHAT TO BRING: Warm boots, crampons, ice tools, harness, belay device, eye protection, a few carabiners, slings, PAS, any personal lead climbing or anchor building equipment, rope, cold weather clothing, shell layers, multiple socks and gloves, climbing pack, sleeping bag, travel clothes. Ice tools, ropes, ice screws, radios and anchor building equipment will be supplied by MAA.
- MEDICAL: If you have any medical conditions pertinent to your participation on this event, please inform the event leaders after registration.
- LODGING: Ouray Manor can sleep 21, but we will cap event at 15. Please bring a sleeping bag and mat as this will give us maximum flexibility with beds and space. There are three floors, 8 bedrooms with between one and three beds in each, and 5 bathrooms. House has a living room, front room, dining room, full kitchen, laundry, and wi-fi.
- Sunday, Jan. 5th: Check in 4:00 pm at The Ouray Manor. Meet and greet, enjoy group dinner
- Monday, Jan. 6th - Friday, January 10th: Leave early to secure routes, walk to the park for top rope ice climbing at between 2 and 4 locations in the park. We will also do some climbing in the backcountry, as can be arranged. Climb until the afternoon, then evening meals and festivities to ensue back in town.
- Saturday, January 11th: Clean house and check out at 10:30 am.
- In order to register you must be a Base, Peak, or Apex member.
- Event leaders are experienced volunteers, but may not be certified guides.
- Travel arrangements are separate. Flights can be arranged to both Grand Junction and Durango, but winter time flights into Colorado can be unreliable. Driving may also be hampered by winter storms and road closures.
For more information or questions about this climbing event, please contact the listed event leaders, or firstname.lastname@example.org, or (916) 692-0005.