Join MAA members to climb the stunning Mt. Shuksan via the classic Fisher Chimneys route. Shuksan is a rugged, glaciated massif and one of the most photographed peaks in the North Cascades. This route contains all the elements of an engaging climb with rock, alpine ice, and glaciers. Recommended for members are proficient with all their alpine climbing skills. Loaner gear may be available. We have room for 9. Hope to have you out with us!
SCREENED EVENT: Please join the waitlist. Attendees will be selected based on skill proficiency and experience. Those registered will be notified. Thank you!
- What's happening: Mt. Shuksan, 9,131', Fisher Chimneys route, Class 4, glacier travel, alpine snow/ice. Roped travel, rappelling and scrambling in an alpine environment. Participants should be proficient with multi-pitch alpine rock climbing, scrambling, glacier travel and crevasse rescue, steep snow / alpine ice climbing, and self arrest.
- Where to meet: Mt. Baker Ski Area, White Salmon Lodge, July 22nd, 9:00 am.
- Event Leader: Darren Shutt, firstname.lastname@example.org, and Kelvin Nguyen, email@example.com
- Minimum / Maximum: 6/9
- What to bring: Harness, helmet, mountain boots, steel crampons fit to your boots, mountain axe with leash or runner to connect to harness, belay device, prusik, 2 locking carabiners, PAS, 48" runner, 2 non-locking carabiners, 30 - 45 liter climbing pack, warm, stormproof layers for upper and lower body, gaiters, food, waterbottles, sleeping bag, sleeping pad, trekking pole(s). Ropes, protection, tents, stoves and other group gear will be determined beforehand, likely supplied by MAA.
- Expedition Fee: $149 per participant. This pays for mileage or airfare to get gear and ELs to Washington. Registration is confirmed upon payment of expedition fee.
- Refund policy: Full refunds outside of 90 days, 50% refund between 30 and 90 days, no refund possible closer than 30 days.
- Travel and gear coordination: Group spreadsheet on G-Drive will be shared with confirmed participants.
- Medical: If you have any medical conditions pertinent to your participation on this event, please inform the event leaders after registration.
Prior: April 10th 7:00 pm expedition team conference call to coordinate training opportunities and logistics.
Prior: General discussion on the member's forum.
- DAY 1: Monday, July 22nd - Meet and greet at Mt. Baker Ski Area at 9:00 a.m. Get permit, go up trail to set up basecamp.
- DAY 2: Tuesday, July 23rd - With an early start, climb Fisher Chimneys route, return to basecamp, or all the way back to the trailhead.
- DAY 3: Wednesday, July 24th - Contingency / weather day.
- In order to register you must be a Base, Peak, or Apex member.
- Event leaders are experienced volunteers, but may not be certified guides.
- This event is free of charge. MAA receives no direct financial gain for organizing and supporting this event.
- Participant safety is our top priority. The itinerary described is the plan; however, circumstances beyond the leader's control may necessitate changes.
- The event begins and ends at the trailhead. MAA does not insure ridesharing or other travel arrangements and bears no responsibility for them. Carpooling, ride sharing, or anything similar is strictly a private arrangement among individuals.
- MAA event leaders carry communication devices and a medical kit; The primary event leader has current wilderness first aid and CPR training as well as MAA policy training.