Join MAA on Donner Summit for a day of top rope climbing on amazing Tahoe Granite. These scenic crags feature crack, slab and face climbing all close to I-80. We'll be climbing at Green Phantom, right there at the bridge. A wide range of climbing is available, with all levels welcome. Ideal participants can belay safely and tie in. Loaner gear may be available. We have room for up to 8. Hope to have you out with us!
What's happening: Top rope rock climbing at Green Phantom on crack, slab and face features from 5.4 to 5.9 at Old Donner Summit (Lincoln Highway) at 7,056 ft, just west of Truckee
Where to meet: 8:30 am at the Donner Lake overlook parking area, at the historic curved bridge, on the east side of Historic Donner Pass. This is just beyond the entrance to Sugarbowl ski area. Take Exit 174 from Interstate 80 or drive up old Lincoln Highway from Truckee.
Event Leader: Colleen Schemrich
Minimum / Maximum: 2,8
What to bring: Harness, shoes, helmet, belay device, locking carabiner, chalk if desired, sturdy footwear for the walk in, lunch, water, small daypack, jacket
Medical: If you have any medical conditions pertinent to your participation on this event, please inform the event leaders after registration.
- In order to register you must be a Base, Peak, or Apex member.
- Event leaders are experienced volunteers, but may not be certified guides.
- This event is free of charge. MAA receives no direct financial gain for organizing and supporting this event.
- Participant safety is our top priority. The itinerary described is the plan; however, circumstances beyond the leader's control may necessitate changes.
- The event begins and ends at the trailhead. MAA does not insure ridesharing or other travel arrangements and bears no responsibility for them. Carpooling, ride sharing, or anything similar is strictly a private arrangement among individuals.
- MAA event leaders carry communication devices and a medical kit; The primary event leader has current wilderness first aid and CPR training as well as MAA policy training.