Join MAA on Mt. Shasta for an ascent of the scenic West Face route. This route is equal to the Avy Gulch route without all the crowds. We'll climb the route over two days, with a contingency day built in. Loaner gear may be available. We have room for 8 members. Hope to have you out with us!
SCREENED EVENT: Please join the waitlist. Attendees will be selected based on skill proficiency and experience shown on MAA profile. Those registered will be notified.
- What's happening: West Face route, from Bunny Flat 6,800'. to summit 14,179'. Moderate snow, 45 degrees max.
- Where to meet: Bunny Flat parking area, 7:00 am
- Event Leader: John Scruggs, (510) 219-2397 and Sean Martin
- Minimum / Maximum: 4,8
- What to bring: Warm, stormproof layers for upper and lower body - 4 layers for upper and 3 layers for lower, minimum. 2 pair socks and gloves, warm mittens, warm headwear, headlamp, sunglasses, goggles, gaiters. Harness, helmet, warm mountain boots, sharp steel crampons fit to your boots, mountain axe with leash or runner to connect to harness, food for 2 nights / 3 days, waterbottles, spoon, cup, warm sleeping bag, 2 sleeping pads, trekking pole(s), snow shovel. Stove, pots, fuel and tents may be supplied by MAA. Bring what you have of these items and we'll select the group gear. Plan for about 10 liters of space and up to 10 lbs for group gear.
- Fees / Regulations: There is a fee to climb, $25 per instance or $30 for the year. You will also need to pack out all solid waste. Blue bags provided. Both can be handled at the trailhead. Please see info here.
- Medical: If you have any medical conditions pertinent to your participation on this event, please inform the event leaders after registration.
- Additional Info: Event may be altered or cancelled by weather, even at short notice.
- DAY 1. May 3rd: Meet at Bunny Flat at 8:00 am. Sort gear, make plans, pack. Head toward Horse Camp, after 2 miles take left branch into Hidden Valley. Continue around the base of the mountain another 1.5 miles and set up camp, approx. 9,200.
- DAY 2. May 4th: With an early start, ascend straight up the West Face Gully, keeping Casaval Ridge on the right, and veering slightly left until topping out at the base of Misery Hill. Continue up with Whitney Glacier on the left until reaching the upper plateau. Cross the flats and ascend the summit castle. Descend the same route.
- DAY 3. May 5th: Break camp or head home. Or contingency date for weather.
- In order to register you must be a Base, Peak, or Apex member.
- Event leaders are experienced volunteers, but may not be certified guides.
- This event is free of charge. MAA receives no direct financial gain for organizing and supporting this event.
- Participant safety is our top priority. The itinerary described is the plan; however, circumstances beyond the leader's control may necessitate changes.
- The event begins and ends at the trailhead. MAA does not insure ridesharing or other travel arrangements and bears no responsibility for them. Carpooling, ride sharing, or anything similar is strictly a private arrangement among individuals.
- MAA event leaders carry communication devices and a medical kit; The primary event leader has current wilderness first aid and CPR training as well as MAA policy training.