Join MAA members overnight on Round Top to climb the West Ridge. This moderate 3rd class ridge route is scenic and popular, going directly to the summit. Loaner gear may be available. We have room for 8. Hope to have you out with us!
What's happening: Round Top West Ridge, Class 3 scramble, possibly some snow. 3 miles to camp at Winnemuca Lake. 1,800 feet elevation gain total to summit.
Where to meet: Carson Pass Sno-Park trailhead 9:00 am.
Event Leader: Doug Harris
Minimum / Maximum: 3/8
What to bring: Overnight camping gear (tent, stove, sleeping bag, pad, etc. we can share tents and stoves from among those that attend), layered clothing appropriate for late fall hiking and scrambling, sturdy footwear, 30 - 50 liter backpack, trekking poles, 10 essentials.
Medical: If you have any medical conditions pertinent to your participation on this event, please inform the event leaders after registration.
Additional Info: There is a mandatory Sno-Park pass fee of $5 per day to park here, or $25 season pass.
- DAY 1: Friday, November 16th. Meet and greet at Carson Pass trailhead at 9:00 am. We'll sort gear and pack. Hike together 3 miles south, directly toward Round Top and set up camp at Winnemuca Lake.
- DAY 2: Saturday, November 17th. After daybreak, climb southwest to the ridge between Round Top and the Sisters. Gain the west ridge and continue to the gash just below the summit. Skirt right and descend to a Class 3 gully on the south side, then climb that to the summit, topping out by noon. Descend the same way and return to camp. Break camp, head back to the trailhead, and depart around 5 pm.
- In order to register you must be a Base, Peak, or Apex member.
- Event leaders are experienced volunteers, but may not be certified guides.
- Participant safety is our top priority. The itinerary described is the plan; however, circumstances beyond the leader's control may necessitate changes.