Join MAA at Ouray Colorado for spectacular week of ice climbing. The ice park is world famous boasting hundreds of routes, in addition to some amazing climbing just outside the park. We rent a huge party house every year, the week after the ice festival. It's a blast. All levels welcome. Loaner gear will be available. We have room for 15 stoked ice climbers! Hope to have you out with us!
- DATES: Monday, January 28th to Sunday, February 3rd, 2019
- LOCATION: Ouray Ice Park in Ouray, CO
- COST: $400, which covers 6 days of lodging, loaner gear and lodging expenses for all ELs. Deadline for payment of expedition fee is December 1, 2018. (Registrants: if payment is not received by the deadline then you will be moved back to the waitlist)
- EVENT LEADERS: Paul Shaughnessy, Todd Martin, Darren Shutt
- MIN / MAX: 7 /15
- CLIMBING SKILLS REQUIREMENTS: In order to be best prepared to climb safely and effectively, participants should know how to belay, tie in, lower and be lowered. Experienced ice climbers who are proficient in top rope anchor building and/or have attended ICE 1 ("SIG 3") training or have shown to have this level of ice climbing experience on their profile will be best prepared.
- PERSONAL GEAR: Members are encouraged to use your own equipment. If you're missing something, club loaner gear may be available (except footwear). Please let the event leader know if you need something
- REFUNDS: Full refunds can be given outside of 90 days of the trip date. Between 30 and 90 days, 50% refunds are possible. Closer than 30 days, no refunds can be given.
- WHAT TO BRING: Warm boots, crampons, ice tools, harness, belay device, eye protection, biners, slings, any personal lead climbing or anchor building equipment, rope, cold weather clothing, shell layers, multiple socks and gloves, pack, sleeping bag, travel clothes.
- MEDICAL: If you have any medical conditions pertinent to your participation on this event, please inform the event leaders after registration.
- LODGING: Ouray Manor can sleep 20, we will cap event at 15. Please bring a sleeping bag and mat as this will give us maximum flexibility with beds and space. There are three floors, 8 bedrooms with between one and two beds in each, and 5 bathrooms. House has a living room, front room, dining room, full kitchen, laundry, and wi-fi.
- Monday, Jan. 28th: Check in 5:00 pm at The Ouray Manor. Meet and greet, enjoy group dinner
- Tuesday, Jan. 29th - Saturday, Feb. 2nd: Leave early to secure routes, walk to the park for top rope ice climbing at between 2 and 4 locations in the park. We may also do some climbing in the backcountry. Climb until the afternoon, then evening meals and festivities to ensue back in town.
- Sunday, Feb. 3rd: Clean house and check out at 10:30 am.
- In order to register you must be a Base, Peak, or Apex member.
- Event leaders are experienced volunteers, but may not be certified guides.
- Travel arrangements are separate. Flights can be arranged to both Grand Junction and Durango, but winter time flights into Colorado can be unreliable. Driving may also be hampered by winter storms and road closures.
For more information or questions about this climbing event, please contact the listed event leaders, or firstname.lastname@example.org, or (916) 692-0005.