Bozeman Ice Expedition: One of the most talked about ice climbing areas in the US. We'll be there for eight days cragging, climbing multi-pitch, the classic lines and pillars, as well as catching the Bozeman Ice Festival. For those who are already experienced ice lead climbers. Loaner gear is available to paid members. Maximum: 6. Recommended ICE 3, MTN 1 or equivalent experience.
Screened Event: Please join the waitlist. Attendees will be selected based on skill proficiency and experience shown on MAA profile. Those registered will be notified and can pay the expedition fee.
- DATES: Friday, December 7th to Friday, December 14th, 2018
- LOCATION: Hyalite Canyon near Bozeman, MT
- ROUTES: various single and multi-pitch from WI2 - WI5
- COST: $450, which covers 7 days of lodging, gear, and expedition expenses, and these same expenses for all ELs attending
- EVENT LEADERS: Paul Shaughnessy, Todd Martin
- MINIMUM AND MAXIMUM GROUP SIZE: Minimum 4, maximum 6.
- CLIMBING SKILLS REQUIREMENTS: In order to be best prepared to climb safely and effectively, participants should be able to lead climb WI3 at a minimum, as well as fundamental belaying, cleaning, and anchor building skills.
- PERSONAL GEAR: Members are encouraged to use your own equipment. If you're missing something, club loaner gear may be available (except footwear). Please let the event leader know if you need something
- REFUNDS: Full refunds can be given outside of 90 days of the trip date. Between 30 and 90 days, 50% refunds are possible. Closer than 30 days, no refunds can be given.
- EMERGENCIES: Big Sky Medical Center, 334 Town Center Ave, Big Sky, MT 59716, (406) 995-6995
This expedition is pure ice climbing, with a relaxing, warm place to retreat to after-hours. We will rent a house in Bozeman which is close to the airport, delicious food, and 16.5 miles from Bridger Bowl. In between those nights we'll spend all our time in the deep freeze of the Montana winter climbing our brains out. Our main location will be Hyalite Canyon. Please refer to the book Winter Dance by Joe Josephson. About half the intended routes will be single pitch, half multi-pitch. Leading is a possibility for those who already have experience. There will be no explicit instruction on this event, only climbing. As such everyone who attends needs to have prior significant experience climbing at least WI3. Montana can be very cold (which makes for great ice!!) but be prepared for temps below zero, wind, and snow. We will need 4x4s to make it into the backcountry.
This is a world class area, and we'll be there for the ice festival so we should be able to get some good beta. Paul is co-leading and has been there many times, so he will help us sniff out the best routes for 2018.
We will have a conference call to arrange logistics and meet people who are interested in attending. We will use a spreadsheet to coordinate travel, TBD
- Day 1: Friday, December 7th - Finish travel to Montana. Rent cars - we'll need as many 4x4 vehicles as possible. We'll proceed to the house where we are staying and settle in (check-in: 4pm). Probably some shopping, dinner in town and gear sorting will ensue. Hit the hay early.
- Days 2 - 7: Saturday, December 8th - Thursday, December 13th - Bozeman Ice Fest for during the weekend. Climb, Eat, Sleep. Repeat.
- Day 7: Friday, December 14th - Check out is at 11:00 am. Pack up and get out of town.