Join us in June Lake for top rope water ice climbing and winter climbing training! This event is a combined cragging event with ICE 1, ICE 2, and an overnight MTN 2 training component. APEX Members only, upgrade as a renewal here. You may attend both days or one day only. Depending upon conditions, we'll climb at Horsetail Falls, Tatum Falls or ice crags at the foot of Carson Peak. The MTN 2 component is available for anyone who'd like to snow camp the night of Friday the 20th. Prior experience climbing ice and snow is helpful, and prior experience winter camping is recommended. Participants will be expected to know how to tie in and belay safely. Loaner gear may be available. We have room for 10. Hope to have you out with us!
What's happening: Ice cragging and ICE 1 and ICE 2 training at Horsetail Falls or assorted nearby crags, in June Lake, using top rope belays and mock lead climbing. MTN 2 winter mountaineering training component available for those who arrive on Friday the 20th and camp overnight. Horsetail Falls has a steep 1.5 mile approach, use of a short fixed line and a possible treacherous stream crossing. One or both days are possible with this RSVP - please designate your itinerary when registering.
Where to meet: At the barriers at the end of the Hwy 158, near the power plant. Even though this road is plowed, an AWD or 4WD may be needed.
Event Leader: Darren Shutt, 916-872-3399
Minimum / Maximum: 3,6
What to bring: Warm mountaineering boots, sharp crampons, ice tools, snowshoes or skis, harness, helmet, belay device, warm layers, waterproof jacket and pants, puffy, food, 3 liters of water, large pack, trekking poles. If camping please bring winter mountaineering equipment such as 4-season tent, below freezing rated sleeping bag, 2 pads, stove, headlamp, etc. Crampons, ice tools, tent, snowshoes, and some camping gear may be provided by MAA upon request, first come first serve. MAA will provide ropes and technical ice climbing equipment.
Medical: If you have any medical conditions pertinent to your participation on this event, please inform the event leaders after registration.
Additional Info: If conditions are not good or unsafe, this event may be cancelled or altered, even with very little notice. Driving on winter roads is hazardous, carry chains and plan extra time for travel.
Day 1 - Friday, December 20th: Please arrive at the trailhead at 7:00 am. Meet and greet, gear up, logistics. We will proceed up to the mountain to make a winter camp. Late morning, we'll start ice climbing and training on Horsetail Falls or other nearby crag until dark. Return to camp for the night.
Day 2 - Saturday, December 21st: Darren and a few folks will descend the hill to meet any other attendees at the trailhead at 7:00 am. We'll escort everyone back to the crags, then ice climbing until about 3:30 or so. Pack up camp and head back to the cars, then dinner in town.
- In order to register you must be a current Apex member.
- Event leaders are experienced volunteers, but may not be certified guides.
- This event is free of charge. MAA receives no direct financial gain for organizing and supporting this event.
- Participant safety is our top priority. The itinerary described is the plan; however, circumstances beyond the leader's control may necessitate changes.
- The event begins and ends at the trailhead. MAA does not insure ridesharing or other travel arrangements and bears no responsibility for them. Carpooling, ride sharing, or anything similar is strictly a private arrangement among individuals.
- MAA event leaders carry communication devices and a medical kit; The primary event leader has current wilderness first aid and CPR training as well as MAA policy training.