Bozeman Ice Expedition: One of the most talked about ice climbing areas in the US. We'll be there for six days cragging, climbing multi-pitch, the classic lines and pillars, as well as catching one day of the Bozeman Ice Festival. For those who are already experienced ice lead climbers. Rental vehicles and lodging included. Loaner gear is available. Maximum: 8. Recommended ICE 3, MTN 1 or equivalent experience.
Screened Event: Please join the waitlist. Attendees will be selected based on skill proficiency and experience shown on MAA profile. Those registered will be notified and can pay the expedition fee.
- DATES: Friday December 6th to Thursday, December 12th, 2018
- LOCATION: Hyalite Canyon near Bozeman, MT
- ROUTES: various single and multi-pitch from WI2 - WI5
- COST: $682, which covers 6 days of lodging, 2 vehicles for transport to/from Hyalite Canyon, loaner gear, and expedition expenses, as well as covering the lodging & local transportation costs for both ELs.
- EVENT LEADERS: Paul Shaughnessy, Frederick Lorenz
- MINIMUM AND MAXIMUM PARTICIPANT GROUP SIZE: Minimum 6, maximum 8.
- CLIMBING SKILLS REQUIREMENTS: In order to be best prepared to climb safely and effectively, participants should be able to lead climb WI3 at a minimum, as well as fundamental belaying, cleaning, and anchor building skills.
- PERSONAL GEAR: Members are encouraged to use your own equipment. If you're missing something, club loaner gear may be available (except footwear). Please let the event leader know if you need something.
- PAYMENT: Oct 5, 2018 Deadline for expedition fee (Registrants: if payment is not received by the deadline then you will be moved back to the waitlist)
- REFUNDS: Full refunds can be given outside of 90 days of the trip date (Sept. 6th). Between 30 and 90 days, 50% refunds are possible. Closer than 30 days (Nov. 6th), no refunds can be given.
- EMERGENCIES: Big Sky Medical Center, 334 Town Center Ave, Big Sky, MT 59716, (406) 995-6995
This expedition is pure ice climbing, with a relaxing, warm place to retreat to after-hours. We will rent a house in Bozeman. In between those nights we'll spend all our time in the deep freeze of the Montana winter climbing our brains out. Our main location will be Hyalite Canyon. Please refer to the book Winter Dance by Joe Josephson. About half the intended routes will be single pitch, half multi-pitch. Leading is a possibility for those who already have experience. There will be no explicit instruction on this event, only climbing. As such everyone who attends needs to have prior significant experience climbing at least WI3. Montana can be very cold (which makes for great ice!!) but be prepared for temps below zero, wind, and snow. We will need 4x4s to make it into the backcountry.
This is a world class area, and we'll be there for the first day of the ice festival on Dec. 11th. The ELs have been there many times so they will help us get on the best routes.
We will have a conference call to arrange logistics and meet people who are interested in attending. We will use a spreadsheet to coordinate travel, TBD.
- Day 1: Friday, December 6th - Finish travel to Montana. We'll proceed to the house where we are staying and settle in (check-in: 4pm). Probably some shopping, dinner in town and gear sorting will ensue. Hit the hay early.
- Days 2 - 5: Saturday, December 7th - Wednesday, December 11th - Climb, Eat, Sleep. Repeat.
- Day 6: Thursday, December 12th - Check out is at 10:00 am sharp. Pack up and get out of town.