Join MAA members on a classic Tahoe snow climb up the North Face of Donner Peak. This climb presents the opportunity to practice your steep snow and ice climbing skills and also summit a scenic rocky peak in winter. Best fit for those with prior experience in roped climbing on steep snow with two tools. Recommended Snow 3 and Snow 4 training, or equivalent experience. Loaner gear may be available. We have room for 3 teams of three. Hope to have you out with us!
SCREENED EVENT: Please join the waitlist. Attendees will be selected based on skill proficiency and experience. Those registered will be notified. Thank you!
What's happening: Climbing steep snow and some water ice on the northeast face of Donner Peak, elev. 7,056, near Truckee, CA. Up to 60 degrees, WI2. Roped climbing on a running belay, with occasional anchored belays. Approx. 1,000' gain from Snowshed.
Where to meet: 7:00 am. Parking lot at the Donner Lake overlook curved bridge, just below Donner Summit. Exit 174 from I-80.
Event Leader: Roger Coss, firstname.lastname@example.org, (209) 815-3981
Minimum / Maximum: 4,9
What to bring: Mountain axe and ice tool or hybrid axe, crampons, mountaineering boots, belay device, carabiners, slings, any snow or ice protection, rope, backpack, lunch, water, trekking poles, winter clothing, waterproof, warm layers and storm layers, headlamp.
Medical: If you have any medical conditions pertinent to your participation on this event, please inform the event leaders after registration.
Additional Info: Any suspect avalanche conditions on this face will alter our route to the NW Ridge instead, or cancel the event. Winter storm conditions may cancel the event entirely. Winter driving is treacherous; carry chains, go slow, and plan plenty of time for travel.
- Meet at 7:00 am, sort gear and select teams. Walk across the highway and across the stream to the base of the Snowshed Wall. Go left to ascend snow and rock slopes to the old train tunnel. Cross short steep section of rock / snow to gain top of snowshed. Walk across snowshed roof until below the NE face of Donner. Teams will climb unroped until at the steeper sections of the face, then use running belay and anchored belayed climbing to ascend to the NW ridge. Follow NW ridge to summit at 7,056. Descend back down the face or take the NW ridge back to the cars.
- In order to register you must be a Base, Peak, or Apex member.
- Event leaders are experienced volunteers, but may not be certified guides.
- This event is free of charge. MAA receives no direct financial gain for organizing and supporting this event.
- Participant safety is our top priority. The itinerary described is the plan; however, circumstances beyond the leader's control may necessitate changes.
- The event begins and ends at the trailhead. MAA does not insure ridesharing or other travel arrangements and bears no responsibility for them. Carpooling, ride sharing, or anything similar is strictly a private arrangement among individuals.
- MAA event leaders carry communication devices and a medical kit; The primary event leader has current wilderness first aid and CPR training as well as MAA policy training.